Rockvale Writers’ Colony’s address is 6994 Giles Hill Road, College Grove, TN, which is south of Nashville. We are in a rural corner of Williamson County. If you’re within driving distance, you should not have a problem with travel as we’re near major interstates. If you plan on flying, Nashville International Airport is about 1 hour / 41 miles away. Traffic around the airport and surrounding interstates can be heavy.
It is very handy (and recommended) for writers to have a car when they stay with us. As we don’t supply meals, writers need to get groceries, and that means driving to the store. There are towns around us in every direction, but the nearest one with grocery stores and other shopping conveniences is about 25 minutes / 16 miles away.
UPDATE BEGINNING JULY 5, 2021
A FEW THINGS TO BE AWARE OF IF YOU’RE TRAVELING BY AIRLINES TO NASHVILLE AND NOT RENTING A CAR:
- Check-In on Monday is 3:00pm at the earliest. We are not ready to receive writers until that time. You should make incoming flight arrangements based on that. Take into account the airport is an hour away from RWC.
- We are no longer coordinating drivers for airport pickups. Ubers are readily available from the airport and reasonably priced. It is the writer’s responsibility to alert Uber drivers to the arrival notes and gate code as explained in detail on the Arrival Instructions document. Writers receive this document the week before their scheduled residency.
- We WILL assist writers with airport dropoff after residency. Since Ubers are often not available from the colony to the airport, we’ll secure a community driver for you. The fee is currently $50 and must be paid in cash directly to the driver. Writers should communicate their requested time of departure from the colony to Sandy.
- We don’t supply food, so you’ll need to go to the grocery. This can be accomplished on Monday evenings or Tuesday mornings. The fee to have someone drive you to the grocery and wait for you to shop is $20 and must be paid in cash to the driver. The nearest good grocery store to us is 20-25 minutes away. You should also think ahead about Monday dinner and Tuesday breakfast just in case the grocery trip is delayed until Tuesday midday.
- Communication about travel needs should be done as early as possible. Last minute requests cannot always be accommodated. We do not have the resources to pickup or dropoff writers to any location other than the airport and grocery store.
- If you wish to utilize our driver service either for airport dropoff or to the grocery, let the RWC director know with as much advance notice as possible. It is difficult, if not impossible, to arrange things last minute. As the responsibility of travel to the colony ultimately rests with the writer, it is important to make plans early. If you have trouble on your day of travel, please contact Sandy for assistance. Her cell is 615-497-5322.
If you have questions about any of this, email Sandy at email@example.com.
A FEW THINGS TO BE AWARE OF IF YOU’RE TRAVELING BY CAR:
- You’ll receive arrival instructions the week before your residency.
- GPS sometimes says “you’ve arrived” at the colony about a mile before you actually do. If this happens to you, just keep driving on Giles Hill Road. Do not pay attention to house numbers! The arrival instructions will contain photos of the satellite view of our area. If you’re coming from I-840, you’ll see the big gray barn first and the driveway that goes to it. Don’t turn there! Turn into the driveway that leads to the farmhouse. The mailbox has 6994 on the post and RWC on the box. It will be on your left. If you’re coming from Flat Creek Road, it will be on your right and you will reach the RWC driveway before you see the barn driveway. We have a black gate at the base of the driveway which will be closed. Arrival instructions will contain the gate code. The driveway curves up a hill. You’ll see a large RWC sign about halfway up. Drive all the way to the back of the driveway for parking.
- Cell service can be iffy in our rural location, so calling might not be a great option if you get lost. For this reason, I strongly suggest you take a look at Google maps satellite view and get a feel for our location. If you put in “Rockvale Writers’ Colony” as your destination, rather than the actual address, you’ll have better luck in getting the true place to come up in GPS.
- Sandy will need to know your estimated time of arrival. Check-in is no earlier than 3:00 p.m. and preferred no later than 5:00 p.m. Please let Sandy know if special arrangements need to be made for late arrivals due to unavoidable circumstances.