We often write about the land that surrounds Rockvale Writers’ Colony. Our 65 acres contain hills and slopes, large open pastures, rocky outcrops of limestone, and densely shaded forest. We’ve explored the wildest parts and listened to the voices that still whisper their ancient secrets. The land is alive.
Because we honor and value the land of RWC, we’ve created a new fellowship opportunity for poets to share their important landscapes and environmental heritage. We’re interested in the natural spaces that have made meaningful marks (both positive and negative) upon lives, those places from which we cannot be separated no matter how far away we are. We want to know how that land speaks, and most of all, why it matters.
Please read the guidelines carefully and in their entirety. Failure to follow guidelines will result in disqualification.
- The “Language of the Land” Fellowship is open to writers of poetry.
- Poets may submit up to 5 poems. Each poem will be evaluated for poetic craft, attention to the theme, originality, and aesthetic/emotional impact. We want to be “moved” by the poem’s beauty and honesty.
- Poems should not be previously published.
- Poetry will be read “blind.” Do not put your name on your writing sample.
- The Application Fee is $30. This is non-refundable.
- Applications will be read through Submittable. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
- The application requires a paragraph detailing how the fellowship would aid the writer. Uploaded poems should be presented in one document, either pdf, dox, or docx.
- Fellowship applications are accepted between April 1 and September 30, 2022.
- The recipient of the fellowship will be announced by the end of October 2022.
- The recipient of this fellowship will receive a 1-week writer’s residency at Rockvale Writers’ Colony in College Grove, TN. The residency must be completed by October 31, 2023.
- A small stipend of $100 will be given to the fellowship recipient upon arrival at the colony to compensate for travel and food. Expenses beyond $100 are the responsibility of the writer.
- All rules and policies of Rockvale Writers’ Colony are in effect during this fellowship. The recipient will be expected to sign the writer’s contract before arrival. The recipient should familiarize themselves with RWC (our setting, our mission, and the way residencies work) by carefully reading our website. We strongly advise reading everything under the “Residencies” tab, especially “Information” and “FAQ’s”.