New Policies and Precautions
in Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic
We reopened on May 15th with full compliance to TN and Williamson County reopening policies for businesses. We are accepting new applications for residencies and rescheduling any previously-scheduled writer affected by our 2-month closure. We understand the concern about staying healthy and limiting the risk of exposure to the virus. This summer and fall, RWC is altering procedures in an effort to help writers feel safe as a writer-in-residence at Rockvale. Please read our new policies and feel free to discuss any concerns you may have about residencies. Direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a writer is sick, has a fever, or has been around anyone testing positive for Covid-19, we request they do not come to RWC.
- All our rooms are private bedroom/bathroom suites. There are no shared bathrooms.
- Common areas, such as the library and writing porch are regularly cleaned and surfaces disinfected. These areas are easily avoided if a writer does not feel comfortable being in a common room.
- The farmhouse kitchen and pantry are shared. Writers are asked to practice social distancing while using the kitchen and masks are encouraged if more than 1 person is present. Taking turns for meal preparation is also encouraged.
- We have 1 completely private space, the Ogilvie Granary, which is self-contained in its own building, and has a bedroom, bathroom, living/writing space, and kitchen. This space must be reserved in advance.
- We don’t supply any food, so there is little risk to writers concerning meals. The refrigerator and pantry are cleaned and cleared out each week. Our Monday Welcome Dinner is no longer being held.
- We deep clean all rooms between writers’ stays, especially the kitchen and surfaces in shared spaces. Each writer bedroom/bathroom has a container of Chlorox wipes for the writer to use as desired.
- We are not requiring a deposit or any payment in advance. We request full payment and the signed writer’s contract upon arrival. If the writer needs to cancel, there is no worry about the financial issue.
- We are being very flexible with date changes. As we know, the situation with the pandemic could change at any time, and the effects on individual writers change too. If a writer is scheduled and needs to cancel or change weeks, we are being very accommodating.
- Tours of the property are optional. While we like to show writers around (we have a large place!), a writer can also receive an email with the top “things to know”. We maintain social distance during tours. Writers can ask questions in several ways, including email and text.
- We welcome questions about residencies at any time and will work to ensure writers feel safe during their stay.